Linguaholic

The Great Language Game

Daedalus

There's a website where you can test your feel for language. They will play a random sound sample, and you have to guess which language it is. It starts of simple, with just two options to choose from, but it gets more difficult later on.

Try it here: http://greatlanguagegame.com/

What's your high score? I got 450 points.

Wow, interesting and fun game, but I didn't do very well. I got a 300. Some of the languages that were an option I have never even heard of before. I could kind of guess others, based on where in the world I thought the languages came from.  For example, if it sounded somewhat Chinese or Japanese, I could see what other options were similar that I could choose from.

On my first try, I only got to 150!  That's a bit embarrassing.  I should wait to play until I haven't been drinking wine ;) haha.

I had a lot of trouble telling the difference between Samoan and Scottish Gaelic-- who would have thought?  I think I was thrown off because the speaker said something about Galicia, I think, which made me think surely the speaker was European.

Quite the interesting game for a simple and recent website. On my first try, I got to 350 points before running out of lives.

Surprisingly, some of the languages I have never heard of at all. I basically had to guess most of them based upon the pronunciation sounds and which part of the world I thought the language was from. Mostly luck, but it was entertaining nonetheless.  :wink:

Daedalus, thanks so much for sharing this.  It's a fun game.  So much fun I think it could be a bit addicting!

I got a score of 300 on my first attempt.  I missed Dutch, Arabic and Swedish while I managed to get other languages that I have not heard spoken, or at least not very often, such as Vietnamese.  It was fascinating to hear the various languages and speakers in succession. 

Yeah, I think the problem here is that most of us have not heard most of the languages being spoken too often so it's all about taking a guess. I mean, how are you supposed the difference between two Asian languages? You can hear that they are Asian and locate them somehow but that's it. Still a cool game.

Really cool.  I'll have to try this game out when I get out of work.  I think I'll score lowly as I've only learned 2 languages inside and out.  I'm about to start my third though I have heard others speak it in the south (Spanish).  I'll try to remember to post my score in this thread.  Thank you.

Aaah, I reached 200 points and then it gave me error 520!  :cry:I still had lives left!

Anyway it is really cool game! The first three tries were all slavic languages, so pretty easy, but the next one I guessed on total luck :laugh: Gonna try it again, wish me luck!

• 4 weeks later...