Linguaholic

How do you Text?

Preya_M

To be honest I always just make a call rather then sending a text.

As for when I'm chatting with friends I usually use full words. It really irks me when someone shortens words that are already short or really easy(fast) to spell like "thanks". What's up with 10x, ty etc...

Truth be told I used to shorten a lot of the words and it got me to a point where I was literally wondering on each word how to properly spell it when I had to write it in full.

Study With Us on Discord for FREE!

I know so many who text and they use "shortcuts", these can bother me a lot when they're over used. I tend to text using full sentences and good punctuation and grammar, but that's just me. How do you text? I like using proper english because I don't want to get too used to shortcuts and forget how to spell certain words all together. What do you think?

I tend to be very sensitive to my recipients. If I recognize that the person that I am texting isn't a fan of shortcuts, then I most definitely won't use them. I however find shortcuts very useful, especially when texting with limited credit. Once I can shorten the amount of characters, it means that I also shorten the amount of pages in one text, and hence I save money.

Also, I never find that I forget how to spell properly due to using shortcuts in texting.

I find that there are so many misunderstandings with text messages, I constantly try to write without abbreviations or short cuts.  Still seems that text messages can be misinterpreted.  I would rather leave a voice message so they can hear the tone and inflection of the words...very little questions that way.  It seems though the world is in a hurry and wants to text rather than talk, or listen.

I know so many who text and they use "shortcuts", these can bother me a lot when they're over used. I tend to text using full sentences and good punctuation and grammar, but that's just me. How do you text? I like using proper english because I don't want to get too used to shortcuts and forget how to spell certain words all together. What do you think?

Well when I just got my phone I receive a text message from some one and i just could not understand the text. There were too many shortcuts ,Like ,"omg" O my God. "smh" Shake my head. "kmt" kiss my teeth. It is hard to read messages like that if you are not familar  with shortcut.

I happen to text in a formal way. I don't practice shortcut texting so I sometimes even have difficulty reading it :confused:. I guess people who do must be very much  short on time or it just doesn't matter to them.

I remember when I was younger I used to text in short forms and whatnot. However, now that I'm older that seems pretty childish. These days I always text in standard English no matter who the recipient is.

It all depends on the person I text. If it's a close friend that I text a lot, we usually don't bother with using full words or punctuation marks. I do use internet shortcuts and abbreviations but I still keep my grammar correct.

This is an interesting topic. I've never thought about analyzing the way I text. After thinking about it, I realize that I text--for the most part--in proper English. I'm not a huge fan of shortcuts because I think they look weird. The only thing I purposefully don't do correctly is some grammar--particularly apostrophes. Sometimes my phone doesn't correct it automatically and I am too lazy to fix it, so I just hope that the message translates.

For some reason i tend to assume that you are not so bright if you use bad text language. I write in full english with a decent amount of grammar and it really irritates me when people force you to read their awful texts.

You are quite right, it's all about the image, if you are lazy and text with abbreviations people will think you can't type and that you're not so clever. It's very rare for me to text in English, I mostly do it in my native language, but I am lazy when texting in Portuguese, I do use abbreviations.

I usually text as I would normally write with correct grammar/spelling etc, sometimes If I am short of space I will abbreviate some words. However I think using 'text speak' in it's proper place is perfectly acceptable. I do get very annoyed when I see it outside of a text message though.

I usually use relatively good spelling and grammar when I text, because otherwise it really can be a bit hard for people to tell what you're saying. The only 'shortcut' I use is u instead of you (not sure why that's the exception really). I look back on my texts from when I was about 12 and it's pretty embarrassing to see how many abbreviations I used!

Well, I use a short form while texting.

Mainly because of two reasons :

1-  It is time consuming, irksome and costs money to text in full form with all the

verbs, pronouns and punctuation marks.

2-  The basic idea of texting is to COMMUNICATE.  I feel if that purpose is served with

minimum effort, time and money, it is great.

I know some people who even use short forms in emaills.  But in emails I use proper language with giving respect to all grammatical nuances.

I am not a fan of text, but when I do, I am thorough and do not abbreciate or use short cuts.  If the person doesn't understand a clear message it results in texting back and forth to clarify.  Sort of defeats the purpose of text as a quick and easy mode of communication.

• 3 weeks later...

Most of the time I use full spelling and grammar, and my phone corrects shortcuts such as "ur" to "your" for me to increase speed - as well as adding in apostrophes automatically which is also faster.

Sometimes I don't use periods because in a textual setting it may come across as terse.

If I'm typing with friends I will tend to forget to capitalise and punctuation goes straight out the window. I never shorten words other than "u" "ur" "ure" and "tho" because I just forget it doesn't correct for me on a computer..

The only time I use shorthand is when I'm trying to irritate my boyfriend.

It drives us both crazy when people text us in shorthand. Neither he or I, write a text in anything but full words. It might not, always, be a proper sentence but there are no: u's, ur's, b's, 2's, etc.

I text with proper English most of the times. Many of my friends use the shortcuts and short-hands, but I don't really mind. I understand them and they understand me...they put up with my waste of character and words in texting. lol  :wink:

I think that I really tend to irritate people when I text them because I don't use any kind of abbreviations or shorthand when I am sending a text to someone. I don't know why, but I just can't stand all of the text shorthand.

I also use full sentences and correct spelling whenever I text my friends or families but in rare cases do I use shortcuts as this would inhibit and can cause mistakes in handling the Language in the long run. People who get used to text and shortcuts would eventually become dumb.

I generally text with good punctuation and grammar, I hate text speak. Even if I'm in a rush I will use proper punctuation and grammar. Once I become more conversational in different languages I would probably text in another language just to annoy my friends :D

We sound much the same in that aspect- I try to text in full sentences 99% of the time. If I'm in a real hurry or dealing with someone I'd rather not be talking to much at all I might use "b4" "u" and "k" but that's as far as I'll go. This shortening and text slang for every single thing really bothers me and it does make me worry about how language will continue evolving.

Well for me, I text shortcut when relating with friends and family members. But when relating with superiors, I use full sentence.

I can understand why people use shortcut; it is so that they don't exceed their one message limit. When you exceed this one message limit, you'll have to pay more.