Linguaholic

How Do You Regain Lost Fluency in a Language?

LauraM

Years ago, I was fluent in Spanish -- reading, writing and speaking.  This was after years of studying both in high school as well as in college where I also took several Spanish literature courses.  Although I never spent time in a Spanish speaking country, I immersed myself with television, radio and other media, and had some friends who were native speakers.

But, as I noted, that was years ago.  I feel quite rusty with Spanish and I'm curious to know what I can do to regain my lost fluency.  Should I start from scratch?  Or are there ways to reconnect with the old memory of knowing the vocabulary and the grammar?

Has anyone else had a similar experience with any language(s)?  If so what have you done to relearn the language?  Do you have any tips and pointers?

I am going through the same right now... I think I am beyond rusty right now, lol...

I think you won't need to start from scratch. Well my plans are - and I think my situations is a bit worse than yours XD is to start reading more books and watch movies in the languages in question. I need to regain my "touch" and "feeling" for the language first. Thanks to some topics here I discovered and downloaded some free apps, I haven't tested them yet, but I hope they will prove useful.

So these are my personal plans. It is not much, but it is a start for me. If you still have people around you speaking Spanish, I guess the best thing would be to engage yourslef once again in communicating. Anyway, I am pretty sure you will make it :D So share anu thips you find on your way to regaining the lost fluency!

Thankfully, I haven't lost my fluency in any of the languages that I have learned. I have only become better in English and French, but that's because I am a blogger who does most of his work in English.

If you are using the language everyday. It is easier, but once you stop using it, you'll forget it. It happened to me. Sometimes I can't recall the correct word. I can't express what I'm trying to say. Learning a new language is easy. I think no matter how fluent you are, if your not using or hearing it everyday there's a big chance that you'll forget it.

I keep my French reasonably healthy by reading novels and newspapers mostly. I did lose a lot at one stage but was able to recover it. We also have refresher courses in languages at the local university for the public and language social clubs where English is forbidden.

The *best* way is to go to a country where they speak it, ideally for at least a month, and force yourself to only interact in the language.

If that is not realistic for you (as it would not be for me) it is  usually best to try to start watching movies in the language and reading in the language as suggested above.  Search the internet and see if there is a french speaking group near you.

You naturally lose fluency in a language if you don't speak it on a regular basis. The best and easiest was to maintain it is to re-immerse yourself in Spanish. Try to first and most importantly speak Spanish with your friends or family, or watch some movies or news in Spanish, try reading a Spanish materiel every now and then and I'm sure your fluency will come back or at least improve.

You naturally lose fluency in a language if you don't speak it on a regular basis. The best and easiest was to maintain it is to re-immerse yourself in Spanish. Try to first and most importantly speak Spanish with your friends or family, or watch some movies or news in Spanish, try reading a Spanish materiel every now and then and I'm sure your fluency will come back or at least improve.

I would definitely agree with this, as I believe the only real way to get back into fluency is to do what you did learning it in the first place! AKA speaking and hearing it a lot.

Boy, rusty can't even begin to describe my Spanish-speaking abilities. Yet, at the same time there is a lot that I have retained over the years despite no practice. For example, I can still construct simple sentences and conjugate regular verbs in most basic tenses.

I think you just have to re-integrate yourself with the rules of the language. The vocabulary might be faint but you will probably find a lot of it coming back to you naturally if your sentence structure is sound.

• 2 months later...

You can regain fluency in a language by reviewing! Just like subjects in school, constantly reviewing will help you remember the language, and you will gradually remember the language! Reviewing is easier than learning because you will remember, not be introduced to some new topic. Start reviewing now so you do not forget soon!

I was somewhat fluent in Norwegian some years ago, but once I moved out from that country I totally lost my fluency.  I didn't even try to even practice it, because I knew I'd never go back there, so I decided to focus on other things that could be more useful in my current situation.  I practically forgot about norwegian, since this language is only spoken there so once you're outside that country is completely useless to know it.

It's sad tho, I really loved that language.  I guess the only way to regain the language easily would be by going back to norway and staying there forever ;)  Maybe starting a new family ;) LOL, but seriously, the only thing that could help me gain some fluency would be immersion.

I had not had to speak Spanish for quite a few years and then found myself in a situation where it was the primary language.  It was amazing how, in a little over a month things started coming back to me.  First it was understanding what people were saying and then it was an increased ability to speak it.

I have this problem too, with French. I've studied it for 12 years but now I find it difficult to speak French because I use English a lot (at home, at work). When I wanna say something in French and I don't find the term I immediately think of the term in English. I got rid of the rust before by starting reading books in French and watching some French movies. I will also try to read out loud some passages so my speaking improves. I hope this will work for you too.

To regain lost fluency in  a language I would suggest start communicating the language again on a regular basis. Also surround yourself with people of that language and do alot of reading and watch movies :smile:.

I believe you can get back right on track with your fluency in a certain language by gaining back your momentum :) Try reading, writing and speaking again using the language you have learned for a while/ Practice makes perfect and also immerse yourself once more in the culture and get yourself exposed to the language once more. :) Apply what you have learned before again.

My recommendation is right in your question post. Start listening to Spanish Media, music, TV, and pick up a Spanish book and read it.

Those Spanish cells will come back to life. You may have lost some, but most is still buried in there.