Linguaholic

Self Learning

caparica007

English is pretty much used here as a second language so it was more imposed of society. As for other languages, I'm having problems thinking of a way to effectively learn one by myself. Do any of you guys use a structure for which you learn new languages in?

This much is true. My structure I guess is simple and easy. I just really communicate with lots of people who speak the English language. This is how I hone my skills.

Hoho, what a necro. (bumping a very old thread)

Anyway. I am a self learner in terms of japanese. Mostly when I had classes, I would study a lot on my own anyway, and I really find it to be mostly a limiting factor to be in a classroom. Surely it will make sure that you have a steady phase and constantly learn something... But sometimes you just have a lot of time, and you want to learn EVEN MORE. But if you're in a classroom, it makes it harder. Because if you learn more stuff now, you will already know those things when the class has catched up to that level, and by then you will be miles ahead of everyone else... And there won't be any point of you being in the class, kind of.

I find self studying to be much better, but if you want to get good at speaking... Self-studying is of course not a good way to learn. Unless you have a studying partner that you can talk to every once in a while that is.

I have also been trying to teach my self a language at home. I took Spanish back when I was in high school, but I felt I was being rushed. I have been slowly teaching myself Spanish over the years and I have had much more success teaching myself.

All of the languages that I know I studied on my own. By this I mean that I did not have a real teacher at any time. But you still need lots of help from native speakers and in that way you never learn completely on your own. When I was learning Chinese I used to participate in a lot of language exchanges. The people I talked to were not my teachers, but they still taught me a great deal.

That's so true!  I actually learn English mostly thru the language exchanges I participated in.  The people I chatted with and exchanged e-mails with weren't my teachers, but without even knowing it they taught me so much and it's thanks to them than now my English is as good as it is now.  Books can't replace the knowledge of a native speaker, plus they can't answer you back either :P

I've learned more about language at home than in school to be honest. It's a good thing that I have an internet connection, but for the most part I start to build interest in language when watching foreign films and shows, I even got to learning Italian by playing a video game. It's nice to learn by yourself but it also pays to have a formal training.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm a self learner, although honestly I wish I could take a class. I do a lot better in a structured environment. Unfortunately I don't have the money or the ability to go to school right now, and Finnish isn't really a commonly offered language. Which is also difficult because it's hard to find other people I can have conversations with, who can help me with my Finnish.

I'm working on getting my learning structured, which at least in a non-school environment I can try a lot of different methods of learning and figure out what works best for me. I just keep getting burnt out.

I used to study Italian in elementary for about 5 years, but after hat I hadn't picked it up and I've been meaning to do so.

Right now I'm self-learning Japanese though, so far I got all of hiragana down and am about to start studying katakana.

My best learning comes when I combine various methods of self teaching combined with immersion in the language.  With the Spanish I am fortunate that I can be in a Hispanic area and be surrounded by people only speaking Spanish.

I learned French from all the way back in early grade school. It was manditory but I don't think the teachers really cared about teaching the languages themselves, or they didn't know enough about the language to teach it fluently. But I always find that a classroom environment, where you can practice and hear people speak as well as speak, is a good place to learn a language.

I totally agree with this 100%.

I always like being alone when doing things, especially learning a new languages. You don't have the distractions of a classroom and can learn at your own pace.

Same here! I prefer learning the language on my own as I am more comfortable if I have my own pace and not being in constraint within a time frame. The important thing is whether we self-study or enroll ourselves in a language class, we are enjoying it and it's making us happy.

Most of the languages I have studied I did it alone at home with my books and tapes. I think it is a good method up to a point when you really need to start talking with other people or else you cannot progress.

Are you a self-learner or are you at a school?

I am a self learner, I find it comfortable that way, I can learn at my own pace and laugh at myself when I make mistakes.

When I learned Spanish, self learning with Rosetta was not too difficult.

However, it is VERY hard to learn sign language. It is a very involved language, requiring not only hand movements (words), but also facial expressions (displaying tone or to curb meaning).