Linguaholic

Which English words do you have trouble spelling?

Guest akasha24

Study With Us on Discord for FREE!

Haha. Weird.

Because I always remember the "i before e except after letter c".

So the word weird wouldn't qualify as "before c" since the letter before "ie or ei" is W.

It really is weird to spell weird. Haha

I have trouble with the "a"s and "e"s in words like relevant, defendant, etc.  I always seem to want to put another a at the end instead of e.  I also have some trouble at times with words like commission and necessary when consonants repeat.

I misspell more words nowadays than I did when I was in school, that is for sure.  It is probably because I don't read as much as I used to.  When you don't surround yourself with words, you forget their spellings.  I have been misspelling "Onomatopoeia", "calendar" (I put it as -er at the end for some reason) and "tomorrow" as I want to double up on the m for some reason.

@sayitwell

whenever you write tomorrow, always think of it as to-morrow :) I've had this issue before but since I thought of it as to-morrow, no more issues.

And even the spelling of my country, ugh! Philippines. I would often spell it as Philipines. haha XD I'm not that patriotic lol.  :tongue:

Guest akasha24

Broccoli. Did I get that right?

Whenever I encounter this word, I always have trouble spelling it out. I sometimes get confused about which letters to double up as in occasion, embarrass, and accommodate.

Yes, you got that right  :grin: The other words you mentioned..I always think about how many "r"-s or "c"-s I have to write. The good thing is that on forums like this, if you misspell something, it will be underlined in red, so then you know that you wrote a specific word incorrectly, but there are times when a word I type is underlined and I still can't figure out the correct spelling by myself  :laugh:

I can never spell "plagiarism" or "plagiarize" or "plagiarist" or any other of the derivatives without looking them up first.  In fact, I looked it up just now to make sure I had spelled it correctly! :) 

I have trouble with other words, but that one is a sure bet for misspelling if I don't check it first.  It's such a strange sequence of vowels and consonants to me. 

A few others that give me trouble sometimes are "changeable," "allegiance," and "gauge."

Yes, you got that right  :grin: The other words you mentioned..I always think about how many "r"-s or "c"-s I have to write. The good thing is that on forums like this, if you misspell something, it will be underlined in red, so then you know that you wrote a specific word incorrectly, but there are times when a word I type is underlined and I still can't figure out the correct spelling by myself  :laugh:

HA! that's the same as mine. Broccoli seem to be one that I always just use one 'c'. I always need spell check to correct it for me. Google is another one that I need spell check. I either type it with one 'o' and double 'g' or one 'o' with one 'g' then I'd be like 'hmm this doesn't look right'. Many times I'd type 'kitchen' instead of 'chicken' which I don't know why..but it happens.

Guest isabbbela

I find my biggest problems are with words "z" or "s". Like "analise" or "analize". I never know what is right, or if both are right depending on where you are. I'll also have some doubts when it's a word which already ends with "Y. Like "mystery"... I'll always write "mistery" and then the spell check tells me I'm wrong...

Guest akasha24

I would also like to add two more words that came to my mind yesterday while writing a song. One is "believe" and the other one is "receive". I never know if the e or the i comes first  :smile: I misspell them most of the time.

I constantly have problems with "ie" and "ei" words, it's so confusing. Just recently I spelled the word "thief" wrong, I'm always spelling it like "theif." The word "perceive" is another that I usually get wrong. I can’t think of any other words at this time but I’m sure that there are a few more.

"Necessary", "Unnecessary", and "Embarrassing" are words I mess up all the time. The double consonants are hard to remember for each individual word. I'll always end up with a missing n, a missing r, or an extra c. I hate when I get that red underline every time I try to type those words, yet somehow I don't remember the differences between them.

Broccoli. Did I get that right?

Whenever I encounter this word, I always have trouble spelling it out. I sometimes get confused about which letters to double up as in occasion, embarrass, and accommodate.

This happens to me, too. I often have trouble remembering which letters I need to double up. The words I usually have a problem with are tomorrow, occurrence, occasion, embarrass and accommodate.

There are a few English words I have trouble spelling such as Convenience and Syllabus. I often spell Convenience in a wrong way, which I would forget the "i". Syllabus, for instance, I have trouble spelling it because I usually mistakenly use "m" instead of "y".

I can't think of too many that still give me trouble...I used to have a hard time with calendar, lavender, zealous, physicist and license.

I sometimes have trouble with calendar and license.  With "calendar" I sometimes want to reverse the last two vowels. 

Just a couple of hours ago I was trying to spell "buoyant" and it took me a couple of tries before my spell check let me know I got it correct.  It's one of those words with a tricky arrangement of vowels. 

This is a great topic as we're finding common ground in spelling errors as well as encouragement to get them spelled correctly. :)

• 2 weeks later...

Words with double letter always catch me up. Tomorrow is probably the best example. I have spelt that word in about as many as you could possibly imagine.

Oh, I agree! It happens to me sometimes. I don't know why, but one thing I know for sure is that I always thought double letters don't come together.