Linguaholic

What are your language-related goals for 2014?

Trellum

Hello guys!  Everyone seems to be talking about resolutions and so on, well, instead of doing that and since we are on a language forum, I thought it would be nice to create a thread focused on our language goals for 2014.  So let's get this started, shall we?

I don't have a lot language goals for 2014, I think I will just focus on Dutch next year, since I might be moving there in the future.  I guess I'll try to finish the Pimsleur course (30 lessons if I recall right), then I might start checking ''Dutch for dummies'' or something like that.  I'm still not sure if I should start creating vocabulary lists or if it is too soon.  I guess I'll let thigs flow smoothly :)

I might work on improving my english if I have the time.

So those are my only language goal for 2014. What about you guys?

My goal is to pay off 2 of my credit cards, save enough money to move in with my boyfriend and to get a new job. I also plan on losing weight in 2014. I have been out of control and wild in 2013 and I feel like 2014 is my time to buckle down and do the things I need to do.

My goal for 2014 is to pay off all my debts such as student loans and try to save as much money as possible because I have spent a lot in the past years. I have already created a spending and saving budget plan, which helps and guides me to keep track of how much I spend and how much I need to save.

I am really determined to learn more about the French language together with its culture. :) I find French language classy sounding and nice accent as if everyone who speaks the language is a romantic. :) I will allot more time studying the language and get acquainted with their expressions. :)

I'm planning on finally learning French and Japanese as much as I could. I've been sidetracked a bit by work and other responsibilities this year, but I hope to set aside more time for myself and my cultural enrichment next year.

Oh, I learned French and Japanese before, which were difficult for me because I couldn't focus learning these two languages. Hope everything goes well to you!

My 2014 goal is to get out of debt, lose more weight and be happy.

I also want to discover more streams of income. I heard a motivator speaker say everyone should have eight.  Based on how the U.S. economy has been over the past few years, I agree with him.  :angel:

I have started already, but I would like to have proficiency in Italian. By the end of 2014, I would like to be mid way with French.

I have a new fascination for both languages. When I do become proficient, I will plan a trip to both countries. It will be great to put the new skills to work.

I know that anywhere we go, English is understood, but I do not want to rely on that.

I don’t have any logical plan yet but I have heard my parents confer concerning my joining to Spanish and Japanese classes. I haven’t confirmed it yet but I as well have my own substitute plans. I am planning to try as much as I can to watch all the major games in the FIFA worldcup besides enlarging my stage room to fit as many people as it can pay off for my expenditures.

My language goals for 2014 are mainly try to keep my English and Spanish alive and if possible practice some Russian and German, but these last two will be hard because I don't have many connections at the moment with people that speak it.

I am not really much of a resolutions person, as I believe that if I really wanted to do something, I would start it tomorrow instead of in January, however I am hoping that by next year I am somewhat fluent in Spanish, I keep up with my workout and exercise regime, as well as continue the tradition to eat clean healthy meals. 2013 has been going greatly for me, at least compares to the last few years, so I guess I would just be happy if I continued to swing that way next year, and make the best of it.

I've made new year's resolutions before and never got keep so for next year these are my goals:

1. Keep my new year resolutions.

2. Forget about the past and move on [don't ask why].

3. Move into another town where I won't run into old acquaintances and phony friends.

That's about it. I'd rather keep it simple.

My New Year's Resolution of language would be that I would like to go back to learn French. I learned French in high school, but I ended up dropping the class because it was difficult for me learn. Now, I want to learn French because that's the kind of language I will find it useful for me in the future.

My language goals for 2014 are:

Further inrease my Chinese level and study some Japanese for my trip in April (going to Japan for 2 weeks). Moreover I hope I can pass my exams in computational linguistics in January 2014.

My goal is to start learning Tagalog. I began, but got side tracked. I also want to achieve fluency in Spanish this year. I want to be able to interact with the Spanish speaking people around here so I can communicate with them as if I was one of them.

• 2 weeks later...

My goal is to be able to master basic conversational Japanese, since I have been in this country for 3 years and 2 months already. Together with that, I intend to polish my Nihon Shuwa (Japanese Sign Language) abilities while also able to converse in Japanese slang  :tongue:

In addition, I also plan to leave Japan and relocate to another country. I like to re-polish my Cantonese, Sinhala and when I have spare time (and spare motivation), I'd like to start memorizing the Sanskrit and Ancient Greek alphabets again.

Tis' my goals for 2014.

Happy Holidays,

Antiquarian.