Linguaholic

Your favorite English Quotes

My favourite quote ever, changed my work ethic and my whole life. There is a lot of back story so I've posted the image at the bottom of this post rather than type it out.

There's also two from Nikola Tesla which I really like, he's a big inspiration to me:

"Let the future tell the truth and evaluate each one according to his work and accomplishments. The present is theirs; the future, for which I really worked, is mine."

"Money does not represent such a value as men have placed upon it. All my money has been invested into experiments with which I have made new discoveries enabling mankind to have a little easier life."

Bruce_had_me_up_to_three_miles_a_day_2.jpg

"The meaning of life is just to be alive. It is so plain and so obvious and so simple. And yet, everybody rushes around in a great panic as if it were to achieve something beyond themselves". -Alan Watts.

This I feel like more people need to know. Many people usually gets depressed by trying to achieve more and more when they miss the greater aspect of life which is to enjoy it in the moment just being alive.

Some quotes from my favorite songs.

"Only thing worst that death is regret-filled coffin" - J Cole

The truth...is limitless in it's range. If you drop a 't' and look at it in reverse it could hurt" -  Lupe Fiasco

Here are two of my favorite English quotes.

The most common way people give up their power is by thinking they don’t have any. –Alice Walker

I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel. –Maya Angelou

My favourite quote ever, changed my work ethic and my whole life. There is a lot of back story so I've posted the image at the bottom of this post rather than type it out.

Bruce_had_me_up_to_three_miles_a_day_2.jpg

jubvman, that's a wonderful quote.  And the story behind it, really is quite moving.  Thank you so much for sharing that one.  It is so uplifting and at the same time it's a challenge to us. 

It's why I enjoy rereading this thread so much.

Here's one of my recent discoveries which means a lot to me.  It evokes some of the same themes  as yours.

“A sign of wisdom and maturity is when you come to terms with the realization that your decisions cause your rewards and consequences. You are responsible for your life, and your ultimate success depends on the choices you make.” -Denis Waitley

I just reread The Little Prince.  Such a good book, even if it's technically a children's book.

Anyway, have a quote from it:

"It is much more difficult to judge oneself than to judge others.  If you succeed in judging yourself rightly, then you are indeed a man of true wisdom."

I really like this one too, "Risks must be taken because the greatest hazard in life is to risk nothing.”

Wow, that's a great one too. It hits close to home, because I've often questioned my own motivation. I've been trying to take more risks recently and act with more spontaneity.

I would like to share some of my favourite English quotes with you here. Mostly inspirational quotes…it’s incredible how much motivation a quote can give you…don’t you think so? Just a few words…but sometimes really powerful! I am not going to mention the author of the specific quotes…there is no special reason for that. Feel free to post your favorite quotes AND the author if you feel like :=)

“You never have to change anything you got up in the middle of the night to write.”

“Risks must be taken because the greatest hazard in life is to risk nothing.”

“There is no dishonor in losing the race. There is only dishonor in not racing because you are afraid to lose.”

“Even if I knew that tomorrow the world would go to pieces, I would still plant my apple tree.”

“Friendship is like peeing on yourself: everyone can see it, but only you get the warm feeling that it brings.”

“It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living.”

“I never made one of my discoveries through the process of rational thinking”

“It's not what you say out of your mouth that determines your life,it's what you whisper to yourself that has the most power!”

“What the superior man seeks is in himself; what the small man seeks is in others.”

„Sometimes you have to watch somebody love something before you can love it yourself. It is as if they are showing you the way.“

“Our biggest regrets are not for the things we have done but for the things we haven't done”

“You cannot expect victory and plan for defeat.”

“I find television very educating. Every time somebody turns on the set, I go into the other room and read a book.”

“If there's a book that you want to read, but it hasn't been written yet, then you must write it.”

I am looking forward to see YOUR favorite quotations! Happy Posting  :o

"

1 Corinthians 13:4-8

Amplified Bible (AMP)

4 Love endures long and is patient and kind; love never is envious nor boils over with jealousy, is not boastful or vainglorious, does not display itself haughtily.

5 It is not conceited (arrogant and inflated with pride); it is not rude (unmannerly) and does not act unbecomingly. Love (God’s love in us) does not insist on its own rights or its own way, for it is not self-seeking; it is not touchy or fretful or resentful; it takes no account of the evil done to it [it pays no attention to a suffered wrong].

6 It does not rejoice at injustice and unrighteousness, but rejoices when right and truth prevail.

7 Love bears up under anything and everything that comes, is ever ready to believe the best of every person, its hopes are fadeless under all circumstances, and it endures everything [without weakening].

8 Love never fails [never fades out or becomes obsolete or comes to an end]. As for prophecy ([a]the gift of interpreting the divine will and purpose), it will be fulfilled and pass away; as for tongues, they will be destroyed and cease; as for knowledge, it will pass away [it will lose its value and be superseded by truth]."

"We impose order on the chaos of organic evolution. You exist because we allow it, and you will end because we demand it." -Sovereign, ME1

"You wish to finish this war with your honor intact? Stand among the ashes of a trillion dead souls and ask the ghosts if honor matters... The silence will be your answer."- Javik, ME3

"There’s no use crying over every mistake, you just keep on trying until you run out of cake." -GLADoS, Portal

"Ahh you think you're different? That you can handle it? Yes, I remember that feeling. For I was the same." -Some merchant guy, Dark Souls.

"My Rattata is in the top 10% of Rattata" -Youngster, Pokemon

""A man chooses and a slave obeys" -Andrew Ryan, Bioshock

Quotes that stick in my memories tend to be from videogames.

Jimi Hendrix is absolutely one of my personal favorite musicians and person in history! The following are some of my favorite quotes from him:

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace."

"Knowledge speaks, but wisdom listens."

"The story of life is quicker thenthe blink of an eye, the story of love is hello, goodbye."

"I used to live in a room full of mirrors; all I could see was me. I take my spirit and I crash my mirrors, now the whole world is here for me to see."

“Do all the good you can,

By all the means you can,

In all the ways you can,

In all the places you can,

At all the times you can,

To all the people you can,

As long as ever you can.”

“If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there.”

“The love that lasts the longest is the love that is never returned.”

I got a few quotes by C.S Lewis:

You are never too old to set another goal or to dream a new dream.

Friendship is unnecessary, like philosophy, like art... It has no survival value; rather it is one of those things that give value to survival.

You do not have a soul. You are a soul. You have a body.

When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up.

My all time favourite quote is one by Charles Augustus Lindbergh II

" What kind of man would live where there is no daring?

I don't believe in taking foolish chances, but nothing

can be accomplished without taking any chance at all. "

I have a few quotes as the background on my desktop. Some of my favourites are:

"Don't give up what you want most for what you want now."

"Only a fool trips on what is behind him."

Some other ones, not on my desktop, are:

"Success is the best revenge."

"Fall seven times, stand up eight." (This one is a Japanese proverb. The Japanese is "Nanakorobi yaoki" or "七転び八起き".)

Confucius, the Chinese teacher and philosopher, had many good ones, but my favourite is:

"Choose a job you love, and you will never have to work a day in your life."

I have a few quotes as the background on my desktop. Some of my favourites are:

"Don't give up what you want most for what you want now."

"Only a fool trips on what is behind him."

Some other ones, not on my desktop, are:

"Success is the best revenge."

"Fall seven times, stand up eight." (This one is a Japanese proverb. The Japanese is "Nanakorobi yaoki" or "七転び八起き".)

Confucius, the Chinese teacher and philosopher, had many good ones, but my favourite is:

Thank you for those lovely quotes Emily. I really like the one from Confucius that you have just mentioned! I would definitely agree with it.

One of the best quotes out there  :wink:

My absolute favorite quote is by Mary Anne Radmacher: "Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the little voice at the end of the day that says I'll try again tomorrow."

I've struggled with abuse through over a decade of my life and live with PSTD and major anxiety issues because of it. It impacted all parts of my life. I plan on getting this tattooed somewhere on my body one day to remind me that sometimes baby steps are okay as well. Just because you didn't get far one day doesn't mean that you failed, just as long as you didn't give up.