Linguaholic

Do you find people who speak more languages more attractive?

Thrix

We discussed on this subject the other day, so I thought I'd ask you guys.

Personally, intelligence attracts me (sometimes even turns me on, lol), and a sure sign of intelligence is knowing more than one language.

It's not like I wouldn't date a person who is smart, charming, beautiful etc., just because she knows just one language, but I like people who know multiple languages.

As shallow as it may sound, I find it attractive when people can speak at least two languages fluently, English being one of those two. I am not sure if I know how to properly explain it, but I think it is because I find that communication plays an important role in a relationship. If two people could not get their points across to one another because of a language barrier especially during a fight, it might make the situation a lot worse.

There is a romantic and mysterious element to hearing a foreign tongue. I find it fascinating; intelligence is definitely a preferred quality, and fluency in multiple languages demonstrates just that. There is also something inexplicably attractive about the way Spanish/French/Italian sounds. Romantic languages indeed  :wink:

I find speaking more than one language very attractive, however, I wouldn't want it to become a reason to put me down. Some people get high and mighty when they are bilingual and that's a real turn off. Assuming they are a nice person though I don't think it could be a bad thing.

I would say that depend on the people who speak such languages.

There are individuals that sound adorable because they speak naturally other languages, but there are others that emphasize a sort of "superiority" because they can talk more than their mother tongue.

This kind of people is really irritating.

It depends on the language the person is speaking. I think it is awesome that some people speak different languages other than English, but what frustrates me is that sometimes they speak the language in front of people who don't understand the language. Some people have such a manner of showing off their other languages or ssomething, which I think it becomes an issue.

Not really. It is just okay for me if one person speak one or two languages as long as we understand each other in our conversations. Even though they speck more languages and then when you are talking to each other one of you sometimes cannot catch up with what you are talking about then you may not find each other to be attractive.

There is something about it that I find quite attractive. But I think it's more the accent when they're speaking English or something cute about the way an expression we would use frequently makes no sense at all.

I think there's something about a language barrier appealing as well. When you can't use words to communicate you can develop something quite special with someone. Actions can speak a lot louder than words.

What do you all think the most attractive language is?

It's not something I specifically look for in someone, but thats probably because I'm not really fluent in anything besides English. I'm sure if I was fluent in another language, I would hope to meet someone else who I could speak with in that language. Also, in general I find intelligence to be an attractive trait, and I think it is an accepted fact that people who speak multiple languages are sometimes more intelligent.

If anything I find them a bit intimidating! I know what effort needs to go into being successful in speaking a foreign language, and I know how outgoing they are and I'm quite the introvert.

I'd say it's more of a convenience than an attractive trait. It's good to have multilingual companions for useful purposes, but it's really not that high on the desirability scale. Plus some can be quite pedantic about it, which is a real turn-off for me.

I do admire people who can speak more languages seamlessly because it takes not just efforts but also time and money to learn a new language other than your mother tounge. It surely takes discipline and few people nowadays have this attribute. As a job candidate, a person who is multilingual has more skill and therefor has edge over the other applicants.

Not really. It is just okay for me if one person speak one or two languages as long as we understand each other in our conversations. Even though they speck more languages and then when you are talking to each other one of you sometimes cannot catch up with what you are talking about then you may not find each other to be attractive.

Yes, I do. For people who wanted to think out of the box and to know more, to learn more and to constantly improve themselves I have nothing but respect and appreciation. The brain is the most attractive organ to me :D

If I was dating a girl and I found out she could speak 3 - 4 languages fluently, that would be a plus for her that's for sure. That would mean shes intelligent and cultured at the very least. It would really be impressive though I've never dated a girl who could speak more than 2 languages fluently.

Yeah, I find intelligence to be a really attractive trait.  Actually people who are dumb are a huge turn off, specially if we're talking about a partner!  No matter how handsome or muscular a guy can be, if he's shallow and slow... there is no way we'll be on a second date. 

That being said, yeah, I get impressed when I find out a guy speaks more than 2 or 3 languages! I consider that to be a huge plus!!! It also makes me feel more interested on the person :)

• 2 weeks later...

I don't base someone's attractiveness off of how many languages they can speak. However I do find some people more attractive when they can speak a certain language.

.. and which language would that be?

• 1 month later...